Here’s Who’s Paying Harry And Meghan’s $2.5m Security Bill – So Much For ‘Financial Independence’
Despite Harry and Meghan declaring their financial independence, they found someone to foot their $2.5 million security bill after President Trump said no.
After President Trump announced that United States taxpayers will not foot the bill for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s security after their move to California, the couple had to seek financial assistance elsewhere. Harry and Meghan, who touted their desire for ‘financial independence’ from the royal family, now faced a $2.5 million security bill. Luckily for them, it turns out that royal safety net still applies and these two will be able to thank Harry’s Daddy, Prince Charles, for their continued personal safety.
Trump Refuses To Let U.S. Foot Harry And Meghan’s Security Bill
After the couple moved to Los Angeles last week from Canada, President Trump made it clear that Harry and Meghan could not expect American taxpayers to pick up their security tab. We are in the middle of a pandemic in which millions have lost their jobs.
I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 29, 2020
The United States does not have a Royal Family and we should not be paying their expenses. Our country was literally established after breaking from the Crown.
Harry and Meghan initially moved to Canada after announcing they were fleeing royal responsibilities. Royal Canadian Mounted Police provided them and their infant son Archie with intermittent responsibilities.
Subscribe and get our daily emails and follow us on social media.
By opting in, you agree to receive emails with the latest in Lifestyle + Entertainment from TellMeNow. Your information will not be shared with or sold to 3rd parties.
But then, seemingly out of nowhere, the couple jetsetted to Los Angeles. Relocating to be closer to Meghan’s family – and her Hollywood dream.
So with Meghan’s sights set on Hollywood, the two needed a new plan for personal security.
Prince Charles To The Rescue
That was not going to happen in the United States, so Daddy came to Harry’s rescue.
From Fox News:
Now, a source tells the Daily Mail that the Prince of Wales, 71, has “agreed to pay a private contribution” to his youngest son and his wife after they up and left Vancouver, Canada, last month.
The insider claimed that while it hasn’t been communicated exactly what Prince Charles’ payment is allocated for, it is “believed” to cover half of Markle and Harry’s security.
The outlet claimed Markle and Harry’s protection could cost up to £4 million in total per year, which translates to nearly $5 million.
It would be a big cushion of support for Markle and Harry, considering the Duke’s father “does not have an infinite amount of money,” said the source, adding that the income he receives from the Duchy of Cornwall is “around” $26 million annually.
While Prince Charles may call it a ‘private contribution’ where is that money REALLY coming from?
Well, British taxpayers of course!
Prince Charles is the Duke of Cornwall, and thus he controls the property empire of the Duchy of Cornwall. What does that mean? That everyone who lives in the Duchy of Cornwall must pay the Prince for the privilege of living on his land under British law.
According to The Chicago Tribune, “Prince Charles, the heir to Britain’s throne, who has quietly turned an inheritance of rundown farmland into a billion-pound real estate conglomerate.”
So what happened to the couple’s plans for financial independence? I suppose those flew right out the window when it was time to pay the piper.
Meghan And Harry Want To Be “Financially Independent”
Meghan and Harry made it clear they wanted to become “financially” independent when they made their announcement in January. The two would be stepping away from the safety, wealth, and protection of the Queen and her royal domain to finally earn their own keep.
View this post on Instagram
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA
Must be tough having to live in the real world and pay your own way. Good thing Meghan and Harry have that royal safety net after all.
Apparently these two are so entitled they believe being financially independent means handing the bill over to Daddy.
Those of us in the real world can’t expect our parents to fork over millions of dollars as we turn our backs on them.