Prince Andrew Gets Bad News From Judge After Trying To Dodge Epstein Victim’s Lawsuit
The judge was not happy with the lawyer representing Prince Andrew; he made it clear that the Royal couldn't duck being served the lawsuit.
Prince Andrew learned the hard way that he won’t be getting the Royal treatment from a federal judge after his attempt to dodge a sexual abuse lawsuit brought against him by Jeffrey Epstein accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffre was shut down.
Prince Andrew Tries To Dodge Lawsuit
The New York Daily News reported that Andrew’s lawyer Andrew Brettler was in court virtually on Monday trying to dispute the legality of how the Royal was served with the lawsuit on August 27 at the Royal Lodge in Windsor.
“We believe this is an illegal action,” Brettler said before describing Giuffre’s lawsuit as “baseless, nonviable and potentially unlawful.”
“There has been a settlement agreement that the plaintiff has entered into in a prior action that releases the Duke and others from any and all potential liability,” he continued, according to CNN.
In her lawsuit, Giuffre claimed that she was forced to have sex with Andrew when she was underage at Epstein’s New York City townhouse and on his private island in the early 2000s.
Judge Fires Back
Judge Lewis Kaplan fired back at Brettler by saying that he will not be able to stall this case for very long.
The debut hearing for Prince Andrew on Virginia Giuffre's lawsuit has ended, and the judge showed little patience for the royal's service arguments.
“Let’s cut out all the technicalities and get to the substance.”
— Adam Klasfeld (@KlasfeldReports) September 13, 2021
Subscribe and get our daily emails and follow us on social media.
By opting in, you agree to receive emails with the latest in Lifestyle + Entertainment from TellMeNow. Your information will not be shared with or sold to 3rd parties.
“I have a foreign national who has been sued in a United States court, and he’s taking a position that he has not been sued,” Kaplan said.
“You have a pretty high degree of certainty that he can be served sooner than later,” the judge added. “Let’s cut out all the technicalities and get to the substance.”
Giuffre Speaks Out
Giuffre told Fox News last month that she wants to hold Andrew “accountable” for what he allegedly did to her.
“The powerful and rich are not exempt from being held responsible for their actions,” she said. “I hope that other victims will see that it is possible not to live in silence and fear, but to reclaim one’s life by speaking out and demanding justice.”
“I did not come to this decision lightly,” Giuffre said. “As a mother and a wife, my family comes first – and I know that this action will subject me to further attacks by Prince Andrew and his surrogates – but I knew if I did not pursue this action, I would be letting them and victims everywhere down.”
Andrew Denies Giuffre’s Claims
Prince Andrew has repeatedly denied the claims made against him by Giuffre.
“It didn’t happen. I can absolutely categorically tell you it never happened,” Andrew said. “I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever.”
Andrew said this despite the fact that there is at least one photo of him with his arms around Giuffre at Epstein’s home. Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s alleged former madam and a friend of Andrew’s, can be seen in the background.
Andrew is the third child of Queen Elizabeth, and is ninth in line for the throne.
In the wake of a disastrous 2019 interview about Epstein, Andrew has taken a step back from Royal duties.
Given the latest developments in this case, it is unlikely that he will be returning to these official duties anytime soon, if ever.