Image Credit: UFC / YouTube

Sports

UFC Releases Kevin Lee, Fighter Responds To Decision

One-time interim title contender Kevin Lee spoke out against the UFC after his release was confirmed earlier this week.

The UFC parted ways with Kevin Lee earlier this week.

While business decisions like that have become the norm, Lee didn’t take it too well.

The one-time interim title contender was recently suspended for a failed drug test. 

However, Lee just isn’t sure where the decision was made. And that is what has him so upset by it all.

“I wish they would have already told me this two months ago,” Lee said during an appearance on The MMA Hour (thanks to MMA Fighting for the quotes). “I would have already been fighting by now. I wanted to fight in December. I wouldn’t have to serve this suspension in Nevada. So I don’t know. It’s kind of a dick move isn’t it? It kind of pisses you off, don’t it?

“I guess (the decision to release me) happened two weeks ago on November 17 is when they finalized it but they didn’t tell me till yesterday. Like I said, it was by email. I don’t know. I honestly don’t know the politics behind it.”

The 29-year-old mentioned several other things during the interview that he feels played a role in his release. 

He also hinted at a potential next career move, including the PFL. 

“I’m a prize fighter. So at the end of the day, I’m going to go to who pays me the most,” Lee said. “PFL do got their million dollar tournament but there’s a lot of ways to make millions out here. I can make a whole lot more than I did with the UFC even.

“I’ve had top billing spots with the UFC, about eight main events, so that’s a lot of millions put towards marketing. I’m going to leverage that now.”

 

Leave a Comment