Ottman Azaitar Cut by UFC Due to COVID-19 Protocol Violation
Earlier today word came that rising fighter Ottman Azaitar won't compete at UFC 257, and since then, Dana White's revealed he's been let go.
The UFC has cut ties with rising lightweight Ottman Azaitar, after the fighter’s team allegedly violated the promotion’s COVID-19 saftey protocols.
White announces Azaitar has been released
Earlier in Friday it was revealed that the undefeated fighter would not longer fight Matt Frevola as scheduled, at UFC 257. The reason why wasn’t immediately known.
But, since then, White told MMA Junkie’s Farah Hannoun this.
“He and his team cut their wristbands off and got them to people on the outside, one guy,” White said.
“This guy got inside the bubble, went in through a room, shimmied down four balconies, went in through (Azaitar’s) balcony, and dropped off a bag of we don’t know what.
Then he changed his clothes and went back outside of the bubble. We got everything on camera, we saw the whole thing, and how it all went down, pulled his fight and cut him.”
Dana White’s statement on Ottman Azaitar’s release.
— Farah Hannoun (@Farah_Hannoun) January 22, 2021
Given that Azaitar has gone 13-0 to date, and that includes two stoppage wins in the UFC, the 30-year-old will almost certainly find a new promotional home soon.
Subscribe and get our daily emails and follow us on social media.
By opting in, you agree to receive emails with the latest MMA News & Analysis from MMA Frenzy. Your information will not be shared with or sold to 3rd parties.
It remains to be seen, however, whether given this alleged incident, if it’s a big stage promotion like Bellator or the PFL.
As this is being written, neither the fighter or his team have commented on the situation.