Former ‘DWTS’ Champ Alfonso Ribeiro Torches Show For Firing Tom Bergeron
Former "Dancing With The Stars" champ Alfonso Ribeiro just blasted the show for firing Tom Bergeron and replacing him with Tyra Banks.
Fans of the ABC reality television show “Dancing With The Stars” are still in shock after last week’s firing of Tom Bergeron, who had hosted the program since it premiered back in 2005. Now, former “Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air” star Alfonso Ribeiro, who won season 19 of “DWTS”, is speaking out to blast the show for firing Bergeron.
Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me. It's been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career. I'm grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?
— Tom Bergeron (@Tom_Bergeron) July 13, 2020
Alfonso Ribeiro Blasts ‘DWTS’ For Firing Tom Bergeron
“I’ve texted back and forth with Tom. I would’ve never made that decision, obviously. I think Tom and Erin are the backbone of the show,” Ribeiro, 48, told Us Weekly.
Then the former “DWTS “contestant and “America’s Funniest Home Videos” host got candid about his feelings.
“I have no idea where they’re going to go and what changes they want to make and why and how these decisions were made. But I think people like myself will absolutely miss Tom and Erin. It’ll be hard for me to see the show in whatever new form it is.”
And Tyra Banks As Replacement ‘DWTS’ Host
Bergeron and his cohost Erin Andrews were fired and replaced with supermodel Tyra Banks.
Subscribe and get our daily emails and follow us on social media.
By opting in, you agree to receive emails with the latest in Lifestyle + Entertainment from TellMeNow. Your information will not be shared with or sold to 3rd parties.
Alfonso Ribeiro said that while he has known Tyra Banks for years and is happy for her getting this job, he still thinks producers made a mistake:
“Sometimes I look at things and I say, ‘Why don’t we just make a new show?’ And then just make that show and then cancel the one that you’re chopping up. Right? We love Tom, and Tom to me is the best host on television. … I definitely wish Tyra [Banks] the best. I mean, Tyra got kind of her start in acting on ‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.’ And I went to grade school with Tyra. So I’m hoping that she does a great job. But it’s hard. It’s going to be hard for me to watch it without Tom in there.”
Alfonso Ribeiro Never Would Have Taken Tom Bergeron’s Job
Fans know that Ribeiro replaced Bergeron as host of “America’s Funniest Home Videos”. So Ribeiro was careful to explain how this situation was totally different.
The former “DWTS” champ went on to say that the only way he’d have considered taking the job is if the host spot was open. He would’ve never wanted Tom Bergeron to get fired for him to get a hosting gig.
“If the circumstances were very different, that might’ve been something that I might’ve been interested in doing,” he said. “I certainly would not have been interested in Tom being fired and me being hired to do it. I mean, I already took over for him on [America’s Funniest Home Videos].”
Of course, Ribeiro is very happy just to host “America’s Funniest Home Videos” for now.
“I can’t do all of his gigs. And at the end of the day, the ‘AFV’ [exit] was not a firing,” Ribeiro added. “It was him leaving, and that’s what made it possible for me to go. I never want to take someone’s job like that. Yes. That has nothing to do [with] whoever you’re hiring of course, but because I’m so close to him, it just wouldn’t have felt right to do if they approached me.”
One can’t help but think that many fans feel the exact same way as Alfonso Ribeiro does about this situation.
It remains to be seen if this will work out for “Dancing With The Stars” in the end.
But the abrupt change-up certainly left a bad taste in fan’s mouths. So there’s a decent chance it will ultimately backfire.