Sports

Conor McGregor Encourages Ireland to “Stay Vigilant”, World to Keep “Fighting” The Coronavirus

It remains to be seen when Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon due to the coronavirus pandemic. But, in the meantime, the Irish superstar's encouraging people to keep fighting the virus.

There’s been plenty of tragic and distressing news about the coronavirus pandemic lately. But, recently Conor McGregor shared out a statement, in which he encouraged his fellow Irish citizens to keep self-isolating as a means to slow the spread of the virus. The former UFC champ also provided some figures, which could indicate that quarantining efforts are working to slow the pandemic in Ireland.

Conor McGregor
Image Credit: UFC / YouTube

McGregor posts statement; tells Ireland to stay “vigilant”

Recently the 31-year-old star shared out the statement below on Instagram.

Quick reminder to stay vigilant with our quarantine efforts, team Ireland!
We have seen a drop over the last 3 days in numbers of infected. From 191 cases on Thursday, March 19th (Our heaviest day to date) to a slight decrease of 126 the following day, Friday March 20th. To now today, Saturday March 21th, a total number of 102 new cases.
These are encouraging drops each day but we are still above 100 a day.
With today being Saturday and the peak of our weekend, plus the fact we have received lower numbers each day, we will all feel tempted to get out and back to living our normal lives again. But now is the time we must remain most vigilant! Remain most vigilant and put this fully to bed. Otherwise we run the risk of going around in circles with these numbers until they hit a spike we then can’t contain.
Stay tight Ireland! We will do this! Together in unity!
God speed to everyone around the world fighting this virus. We fight it side by side! ☘️🌍🙏❤️ Team work makes the dream work, God bless!

View this post on Instagram

Quick reminder to stay vigilant with our quarantine efforts, team Ireland! We have seen a drop over the last 3 days in numbers of infected. From 191 cases on Thursday, March 19th (Our heaviest day to date) to a slight decrease of 126 the following day, Friday March 20th. To now today, Saturday March 21th, a total number of 102 new cases. These are encouraging drops each day but we are still above 100 a day. With today being Saturday and the peak of our weekend, plus the fact we have received lower numbers each day, we will all feel tempted to get out and back to living our normal lives again. But now is the time we must remain most vigilant! Remain most vigilant and put this fully to bed. Otherwise we run the risk of going around in circles with these numbers until they hit a spike we then can’t contain. Stay tight Ireland! We will do this! Together in unity! God speed to everyone around the world fighting this virus. We fight it side by side! ☘️🌍🙏❤️ Team work makes the dream work, God bless!

A post shared by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on

McGregor’s next bout?

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, no one can really say for certain when the UFC will resume holding events. Dana White has repeatedly insisted the promotion will find a way to hold the April 18th, UFC 249 card and Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson. But, it remains to be seen if that happens. 

As far as McGregor, White said earlier in the year that the star would challenge the winner of Khabib vs. Ferguson. But, McGregor said he doesn’t want to wait on the sidelines for that to happen. More recently there’s been speculation that the UFC could be looking at having McGregor fight this summer, and Justin Gaethje has been rumored as a possible opponent.

  • Categories

  • Leave a Comment