The Ascension Join List Of Released WWE Superstars
WWE was cleaning house yesterday, releasing Luke Harper and Sin Cara. Joining them are The Ascension’s Viktor and Konnor, who were also let go by the company.
In an updated statement, WWE stated the following.
“WWE has come to terms on the releases of Jonathan Huber (Luke Harper), Sin Cara and Ryan Parmeter (Konnor) and Eric Thompson (Viktor) of The Ascension. WWE wishes them all the best in their future endeavors.”
Konnor joined WWE in 2005 and was assigned to Deep South Wrestling, later being transferred to Florida Championship Wrestling. He lasted until 2007 and later returned in 2010. Viktor would become a member of Florida Championship Wrestling in 2011.
As a pair in NXT, they held the tag titles on one occasion. Their reign lasted nearly a year; winning the gold in September 2013. They held the belts for 364 days, with WWE recognizing the reign at 343 days. It remains the longest NXT Tag Team Championship reign in the history of the brand.
I’m not gonna lie the Ascension should’ve come back to NXT. Going to the main roster back in 2015 was such a waste imagine if they stayed on NXT we could’ve seen so many dream tag team matches but I hope they do great wherever they go https://t.co/dpNQ0mZ8rq
— keenan fisher (@keenanfisher13) December 8, 2019
At the end of 2013, they joined the SmackDown brand. While part of the main roster, they never found success like in NXT. In fact, The Ascension easily became jobbers of the tag team division.
The Ascension appeared on TV in the beginning of the year, but started to be phased out around the time of WrestleMania 35. As noted, WWE is opening up to the idea of releasing talent if they do not see them as a threat to join All Elite Wrestling.
The Sandman Denies Jordynne Grace Claims Of Sexism
The Sandman came under scrutiny last week after Impact Wrestling’s Jordynne Grace accused him of saying women do not belong in the main event of a WrestleCade Supershow.
He appeared on Busted Open Radio, disputing the claims from Grace.
“The bottom line is that I don’t think that most fans are ready for girls to be in main events” said The Sandman (thanks to Wrestling Inc for the transcription. “There are so many girls that totally deserve to be main eventers in all kinds of different types of organizations; from WWE and AEW, but no, I absolutely don’t think like that and that’s just the way it is.”
“I don’t know where Jordynne Grace got her information,” said The Sandman. “But, I know that I never talked to that girl. I don’t even know who that girl is.”
The ECW icon continued that while he spoke to several females at the show, such as Taya Valkyrie, he never had a conversation with Grace.
“Jordynne Grace was not there the entire time my conversation was taking place; she was not in that conversation.”
The Sandman also admitted to not watching enough pro wrestling to know that more women are now in the main event. As of now, it is a matter of ‘he said’ and ‘she said.’ Hopefully, more women from the show will speak up and we can get to the bottom of the matter.
Since The Sandman has denied those claims, Grace has refuted his comments.