Khabib Nurmagomedov on Why Conor McGregor’s Road to a Rematch Should be Really, Really Long…
Conor McGregor has made it very clear he intends to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov one more time. But, according to the lightweight champ, the controversial star has some serious work to do first.
The consensus seems to be that if Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov win their next bouts, the stars could be booked for a rematch in 2020. But, based off comments Nurmagomedov recently made, McGregor’s has to do much more than that before they fight again.
McGregor’s repeated called for a rematch
Ever since McGregor was submitted by Nurmagomedov last October at UFC 229, he’s called for a rematch with the undefeated fighter. McGregor has said a foot injury he incurred leading up to their massive bout prevented him from being at 100% for the contest.
Since Tony Ferguson has won 12 straight fights and won the interim belt during that time, however, “El Cucuy” is expected to face Nurmagomedov next. More recently there’s been reports that the UFC is hoping to book a fight between Donald Cerrone and McGregor for early 2020.
Nurmagomedov’s recent comments about fighting McGregor again
Well, the lightweight champ was on hand in Moscow last week for the UFC’s card there on Saturday. While speaking at an event, Nurmagomedov was of course, asked about the possibility of fighting McGregor again. Here’s what the galaxy class grappler had to say (quote via MMA Junkie):
“As for a rematch, to fight for a belt in the UFC, I remember I had something like nine or 10 fights. If he wins 10 fights in a row, then that’s completely possible,” Nurmagomedov said.
Chances are Khabib’s taking a shot at McGregor here and doesn’t really believe the star should have to win ten in a row (before securing another title shot). But, the comments are in keeping with previous statements Khabib has made, as far as his contention McGregor doesn’t deserve a title shot. While McGregor may not have been at 100% for their fight, Nurmagomedov controlled much of the action and never appeared to be in any serious danger.
And as far as Nurmagomedov’s expected bout with Ferguson? Khabib was asked about it and he said this (while referencing the massive fine he incurred, for his role in the post-fight brawl at UFC 229):
“They offered me to fight in Vegas in March, but I told them that if Vegas officially apologizes for wrongly fining me for that incident on October 6, 2018, then I’ll fight there,” Nurmagomedov said.
“If not, then they can assign me to another date. As far as I know, they’re planning in April to hold (a fight card) somewhere in New York, so I’m saying I’m ready for April, or March if Las Vegas apologizes.”
Subscribe and get our daily emails and follow us on social media.
By opting in, you agree to receive emails with the latest MMA News & Analysis from MMA Frenzy. Your information will not be shared with or sold to 3rd parties.
Here’s hoping we finally see Nurmagomedov and Ferguson fight in the first half of 2020. That bout is long, long overdue.