Bellator 232 Aftermath, Ben Askren Pondering Retirement
Rory MacDonald's contract status cleared up, Baby Slice sees victory taken away and Askren could be finished fighting inside the Octagon.
Bellator: Scott Coker On Rory MacDonald’s Contract
Despite what Rory MacDonald said, the fighter is still under contract with Bellator MMA.
Bellator president Scott Coker revealed that his contract has not expired, as MacDonald suggested following a loss at Bellator 232 to Douglas Lima. The defeat cost MacDonald his welterweight title.
“Rory’s contract has not expired,” Coker told MMA Fighting, “and we have remaining rights.”
Coker refused to get into the specifics of the contract with MacDonald. The former champion indicated an interest in a third meeting with Lima, as he holds one win over the new champion.
Bellator 232: Commission Overturns Win For Baby Slice
Kevin Ferguson Jr. walked out of Bellator 232 after getting his hand raised as the winner. “Baby Slice” found out after that his victory will now be a no-contest.
— CombatMMA & Boxing (@CombatmmaB) October 28, 2019
The end of the bout was reviewed and changed. The Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulations told MMA Fighting that Ferguson landed illegal strikes in the first round.
Subscribe and get our daily emails and follow us on social media.
By opting in, you agree to receive emails with the latest MMA News & Analysis from MMA Frenzy. Your information will not be shared with or sold to 3rd parties.
”In the case of the above-referenced bout, upon review of the tape, we have determined that the injury that stopped the bout was the result of an accidental foul; elbows to the back of the head,” MTDAR president Michael Mazzulli said in a letter sent to Bellator. “Since the bout was stopped in the first round of a bout scheduled for three rounds, we have determined that the result of the bout must be changed to “no-contest.”
Ben Askren Contemplating Retirement After Recent Loss
After dropping to just 1-2 in his UFC career, Ben Askren is thinking long and hard about his career.
Askren, a former Bellator and ONE welterweight champion, was submitted by Demian Maia this past weekend in Singapore. Earlier this year, he was knocked out by Jorge Masvidal.
“I mean retirement is definitely something I’m considering,” Askren said on the Ariel Helwani Show (thanks to MMA Fighting for the quotes). “I would be lying to you if I said I was not. It’s a time-cost analysis. I have a lot of things I want to do in my life. I’m a really busy guy. I have a lot of things I‘m passionate about and love. Not training specifically but to and from setting stuff up, I spend 30 hours a week on MMA related stuff and ‘Can I place my time better somewhere else?’ is definitely a thought process that crosses my mind.”
Ben Askren is contemplating retirement.
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) October 29, 2019
Askren won his first 17 pro fights, with the 18th being a no-contest. He retired from MMA in 2017 before returning after being “traded” to the UFC from ONE Championship for Demetrious Johnson.
“All I wanted as was an opportunity,” Askren said. “That’s all I ever said I wanted. I got my opportunity so it would be hard to be bitter or disgruntled in any way. Part of me knows I can compete at this level.”