Sports

Dana White Comments on Conor McGregor’s Behavior, Following Latest Alleged Incident

After the release of a video that allegedly shows Conor McGregor sucker punching an elderly man, Dana White has weighed-in on the star's recent run of incidents.

Conor McGregor is back in the news, due to another alleged incident that authorities are investigating, and Dana White’s fielding questions about the star’s behavior. Based off the comments below, it doesn’t sound like the UFC’s going to be disciplining the promotion’s biggest draw. Surprised?

Image Credit: UFC / YouTube

Video surfaced of McGregor allegedly punching an elderly man

On Thursday the MMA world was buzzed by a video which shows a man, who looks a lot like McGregor, punching an elderly man in an Irish pub. The incident reportedly went down after McGregor allegedly offered to buy shots of his whiskey for people, but the man apparently turned it down, and words were exchanged. Dublin authorities are reportedly looking into the incident, but no arrests have been made.

White weighs-in

Well, since then, White was a guest on The Jim Rome Show. Of course, the UFC President was asked to comment on the video, and while discussing McGregor, White said this (quotes via MMA Fighting):

“That happened in April. I knew that happened, they just got the video. It’s pretty bad,” White said. “Not allegedly, it’s pretty clear [it’s him]. So apparently this was in a pub in Ireland and it was an argument over whiskey. Conor has a whiskey now and it was an argument over the whiskey and Conor reaches out and hits him with a left hook.

“I don’t know the context of it. I don’t know the entire story but he punches a guy, an older man, in the face.”

After noting that other famous fighters, like Mike Tyson, have had well document issues after they’ve become rich and famous, White also said this:

“…You get to a point where you look at a guy like Conor and you look at the bus incident in New York (prior to UFC 223) and the camera, the phone, the guy took the picture of him in Miami and he slaps the phone [away from him] — what’s the number?” White said. “What’s it going to cost Conor McGregor before he decides ‘all right, this isn’t worth it, enough is enough, I need to stop doing this’.

“The incident in New York cost him millions. Millions he had to pay out. He had to pay the guy with the phone. What’s he going to pay this guy that he hit in the bar? The list just goes on and on. I just don’t know when he wakes up and says ‘I’ve got to stop doing this’.”

So,  going off these statements, it doesn’t look like the UFC’s going to take any steps within the organization to discipline McGregor. It will be interesting to see if at some point, widespread calls are made for the UFC to do something in this respect. Of course, McGregor’s supporters will likely note there’s two sides to every story. But, having a video making the rounds, of one of the best fighters on the planet allegedly sucker punching a senior citizen, isn’t a good look.

Leave a Comment