Source: Screenshot YouTube

Days after Mike Richards stepped down as host of “Jeopardy!” before his stint replacing Alex Trebek even began, he has been fired as executive producer of both this game show and “Wheel Of Fortune.”

Richards Gets Fired 

Suzanne Prete, EVP, business and strategy, announced this in a letter to staffers on Tuesday.

Backstory: New ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Mike Richards Quits Before First Episode After 2013 Podcast Surfaces

“I’m writing to let you know that Mike will no longer be serving as EP of ‘Wheel’ and ‘Jeopardy!’ effective immediately,” Prete said in the letter, according to Fox News. “We had hoped that when Mike stepped down from the host position at ‘Jeopardy!’ it would have minimized the disruption and internal difficulties we have all experienced these last few weeks. That clearly has not happened.”

“Michael Davies from Embassy Row has agreed to help with production on an interim basis until further notice,” she continued. “Michael and I will work together with all of you in the weeks ahead to ensure that production remains on schedule and we do not miss a beat as we head into the new season.”

“I know this has been a challenging time for the entire team, and I want to thank you all for your cooperation and professionalism over these last few weeks,” Prete concluded. “As Ravi mentioned last week, I will be more involved in the day-to-day on our shows moving forward and I am looking forward to working closely with all of you.  Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need anything.”

Related: Mike Richards Forced To Undergo Sensitivity Training To Stay On As ‘Jeopardy!’ Executive Producer

Richards Steps Down As Host Over Controversy

Richards signed an overall development deal with Sony in 2019, and he was named executive producer of “Jeopardy!” and “Wheel Of Fortune” in May of the next year.

After being named as Trebek’s replacement hosting “Jeopardy!,” Richards found himself in hot water when a 2013-14 podcast resurfaced in which he made “offensive” comments about Asians, Jews, and women.

Richards issued a desperate apology last week, saying that he was just trying to be “provocative” and that he would do better in the future.

“It is humbling to confront a terribly embarrassing moment of misjudgment, thoughtlessness and insensitivity from nearly a decade ago,” Richards said. “Looking back now, there is no excuse, of course, for the comments I made on this podcast and I am deeply sorry.”

He went on to acknowledge his “obligations as a role model” to do better.

Cancel Culture Claims Another Victim

It seems that Richards is the latest in a long line of victims of cancel culture.

While more people seem to be seeing the dangers of cancel culture, it certainly does not seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

A search to find a new host is ongoing for the daily show. Guest hosts are slated to return to continue production for the new season. There’s still no word whether Mayim Bialik will be the permanent host. 

Mentioned in this article:

More About: