Conor McGregor’s Camp Says Dustin Poirier Rematch is Official
After weeks of speculation as to if and when Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor will fight, the latter's team has announced the rematch.
McGregor – Poirier 2 is reportedly official
For months, there’s been talk about when and who McGregor would fight next, even though he announced he was retiring earlier this year. The star eventually started tweeting about fighting again and several weeks ago now, McGregor proposed a charity fight with Poirier.
The UFC, however, ultimately tabled an offer for the rematch. At first, McGregor insisted that the fight take place in December.
But, eventually, McGregor verbally reported he was down to fight Poirier on January 23rd, as the UFC hoped.
Since then, it was reported Poirier had signed his contract for the fight but that McGregor hadn’t. More recently, however, The MacLife posted the news below.
— TheMacLife (@Maclifeofficial) November 19, 2020
Big news for the UFC
So, clearly, this is big news for the UFC and the sport as a whole. While McGregor – Poirier 2 likely won’t be as big as other possibilities out there, like say, McGregor versus Jorge Masvidal, the timing is right for it.
Subscribe and get our daily emails and follow us on social media.
By opting in, you agree to receive emails with the latest MMA News & Analysis from MMA Frenzy. Your information will not be shared with or sold to 3rd parties.
And, anytime McGregor is fighting, it’s going to be a pretty massive fight anyway.
The winner of the bout could very well advance to a title fight, depending on what the lightweight champ Khabib Nurmagomedov plans to do.
McGregor and Poirier fought for the first time in 2014, at featherweight, and Poirier was stopped in the opening round.
Recently UFC President Dana White said that UFC 257 will likely take place on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi.