Sports

Floyd Mayweather Says He And Conor McGregor Will Fight A Rematch In 2023, McGregor Appears To Pan The Fight

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor are reportedly in talks for a rematch in 2023 at least according to Mayweather.

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor are reportedly in talks for a rematch in 2023 at least according to Mayweather.

Floyd Mayweather via TMZ Sports YouTube

Mayweather broke the news to the Daily Mail while promoting his exhibition bout with Japanese MMA fighter Mikuru Asakura. He laid out his plan for the rest of the year, which includes an exhibition in Abu Dhabi, and then said that he wants to face McGregor next year.

“I want to go out there this weekend in Tokyo and have fun,” Mayweather said. “Then I have another exhibition in Dubai in November and me and Conor McGregor in 2023.”

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Márquez at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Paradse, Nevada, on September 19, 2009. Photo Credit: ian mcwilliams, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

RELATED: Mike Tyson Tells Greta Van Susteren He Now Leans Conservative And That The Media Stole His ‘Freedom Of Speech’

Mayweather wants the bout to be an exhibition, but those details are not finalized yet. “‘We don’t know if it’s going to be an exhibition or a real fight. But there’s been talks of both. I would prefer an exhibition,” he said.

Explaining why he wants the fight to be an exhibition, he relayed, “I am not into fights where I am going to take any real punishment. So, guys like Conor McGregor and guys that don’t really hit hard such as YouTubers or UFC guys, I don’t really mind colliding with those kinds of individuals but nothing where I am going to put myself in a position where I am going to harm myself or hurt myself.”

Floyd Mayweather and Victor Ortiz during thier press conference at the Hudson Theatre on June 28, 2011. Photo Credit: Chamber of Fear, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

However, Mayweather told TMZ that he is open to a professional fight with McGregor “if the price is right.”

“We talked, yes, it came to my attention. They talked about it being in Vegas at Allegiant Stadium,” he said. “But if I’m not mistaken, Conor still has problems, a few problems with his legs. So if it’s gonna happen, it’s gonna happen in 2023 not 2022.”

He went on to explain, “Of course, they’ve already talked to me about my number that I’m going to receive and of course it’s nine figures or nine figures in party. But, you know, we got to start at least $100 million for Floyd Mayweather.”

RELATED: UFC Welterweight Champion Kamaru Usman: Conor McGregor Is “Done As A Champion”

It’s not a huge surprise that there is interest in a rematch considering how commercially successful their 2017 showdown was. The event raked in around $500 million in pay-per-view buys. Mayweather reportedly made $275 million and McGregor netted $85 million.

The bout was a tenth round TKO win for Mayweather, bringing his professional record to 50-0. Mayweather has not fought professionally since then, but has competed in a number of exhibition bouts including a 2021 showdown with YouTuber Logan Paul. McGregor returned to the UFC after the superfight, but has not enjoyed the same success he did previously. The Irishman has gone 1-3 since 2017 and was finished in all three losses.

Conor McGregor via UFC YouTube

While Mayweather seems confident that the matchup will occur in 2023, McGregor took to Instagram where he seemingly responded to TMZ’s interview with Mayweather simply stating, “✌️ #notinterested” alongside a photo of Mayweather landing an uppercut on him. However, he has since deleted the post.

Conor McGregor Instagram

He reuploaded the same photo but changed the caption. He wrote, “The cream catalogue #mcgregorinc.” He then listed had a bunch of promotions and brands pasted over top of Mayweather’s body.

Conor McGregor Instagram

McGregor has not fought since breaking his leg in his last fight with Dustin Poirier, and it’s not clear when he will return to competition. “Notorious” does have plans outside of fighting, though. He is reportedly starring in the remake of Road House, set to premier in 2023.

With McGregor’s career on the downslope and Mayweather turning 46 years old, this fight does not have the competitive appeal that their first matchup did. However, both men are still huge stars. There is little doubt that the rematch will attract a huge audience.

What do you think of Mayweather’s comments? Does a Mayweather-McGregor rematch interest you?

NEXT: Tyson Fury: “Whatever Your Going Through In Your Life Now Is The Time To Invite God In To Your Life”

  • Categories

  • Leave a Comment