Julianna Pena-Amanda Nunes Headline July’s UFC 277 Mega-Event
Julianna Pena makes her first title defense against former champion Amanda Nunes this summer when they collide at UFC 277.
Two titles will be on the line at UFC 277 this summer.
In the main event, Julianna Pena defends her bantamweight title against former champion Amanda Nunes. The card takes place July 30 from the American Airlines Center in Dallas.
Along with Pena vs. Nunes, Brandon Moreno and Kai-Kara France collide for the interim flyweight belt.
Peña (12-4, fighting out of Chicago, Ill. by way of Spokane, Wash.) is coming off one of the most spectacular wins in MMA history, when she dethroned Nunes via submission late last year. The first woman to win The Ultimate Fighter, she has also delivered notable victories over Sara McMann, Nicco Montaño and Cat Zingano. Peña now hopes to finish Nunes a second time and continue building her legacy atop the women’s bantamweight division.
The greatest women’s fighter in combat sports history, Nunes (21-5, fighting out of Coral Springs, Fla. by way of Bahia, Brazil) intends to remind fans why she remained unbeaten for over six years. The only women’s UFC double-champion, she holds thrilling wins over Ronda Rousey, Cris Cyborg and Holly Holm. Nunes now plans to avenge her loss to Peña by delivering another show-stealing performance to reclaim the belt.
Moreno (19-6-2, fighting out of Tijuana, Mexico) is determined to take out Kara-France and secure a fourth encounter with current champion Deiveson Figueiredo. Kara-France (24-9 1NC, fighting out of Auckland, New Zealand) expects to make the most of his first UFC title opportunity.
Other bouts announced include
* Texas’ own and No. 5 ranked heavyweight contender Derrick Lewis (26-9 1NC, fighting out of Houston, Texas) locks horns with surging No. 11 Sergei Pavlovich (15-1, fighting out of Moscow, Russia)
Subscribe and get our daily emails and follow us on social media.
By opting in, you agree to receive emails with the latest MMA News & Analysis from MMA Frenzy. Your information will not be shared with or sold to 3rd parties.
* No. 4 ranked light heavyweight contender Magomed Ankalaev (17-1, fighting out of Makhachkala, Russia) faces No. 5 Anthony Smith (36-16, fighting out of Omaha, Neb.) in a bout with title implications
* Drew Dober (24-11 1NC, fighting out of Denver, Colo. by way of Omaha, Neb.) battles Rafael Alves (20-10, fighting out of Miami, Fla. by way of Para, Brazil) in an exciting lightweight matchup
* Ramiz Brahimaj (10-4, fighting out of Dallas, Texas by way of the Bronx, N.Y.) clashes with Michael Morales (13-0, fighting out of Tijuana, Mexico) at welterweight
Nicolae Negumereanu (12-1, fighting out of Brasov, Romania) takes on debuting Dana White’s Contender Series signee Ihor Potieria (20-2, fighting out of Kiev, Ukraine) at light heavyweight
* Justin Tafa (5-3, fighting out of Brisbane, Australia) meets Don’Tale Mayes (9-4, fighting out of Louisville, Ken.) in a hard-hitting heavyweight bout
No. 15 ranked lightweight contender Diego Ferreira (17-5, fighting out of Pharr, Texas by way of Careiro da Várzea, Amazonas, Brazil) looks to defend his spot in the rankings against Drakkar Klose (12-2-1, fighting out of Glendale, Ariz. by way of South Haven, Mich.)
* Ji Yeon Kim (9-5-2, fighting out of Incheon, South Korea) faces Mariya Agapova (10-3, fighting out of Pavlodar, Kazakhstan) in a flyweight bout