Francis Ngannou-Ciryl Gane Official For UFC 270 In 2022
Francis Ngannou and Ciryl Gane will meet to unify the UFC heavyweight titles to begin the 2022 year at UFC 270.
The UFC heavyweight title will be unified at UFC 270 when Francis Ngannou faces Ciryl Gane.
Officials confirmed the bout for UFC 270 on January 22, 2022 from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.
Ngannou is the reigning heavyweight champion and Gane the interim champion.
The card will also feature Brandon Moreno defending his flyweight belt against former champion Deiveson Figueiredo.
No. 4 men’s pound-for-pound fighter Ngannou (16-3, fighting out of Paris, France by way of Batie, Cameroon) aims for his first successful title defense following a thrilling KO win over Stipe Miocic in March. Among the most feared strikers in the UFC, he also holds memorable finishes against Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez and Alistair Overeem. Ngannou now hopes to deliver his most impressive performance yet by handing Gane his first career loss in emphatic fashion.
Undefeated Gane (10-0, fighting out of Paris, France) has wasted no time rising through the heavyweight ranks, capturing the interim title with a spectacular TKO win over Derrick Lewis in August. A former professional kickboxer, he has also delivered notable victories against Alexander Volkov, Jairzinho Rozenstruik and Junior Dos Santos. Gane now intends to dethrone his former teammate to begin his reign atop the UFC heavyweight division.
No. 10 men’s pound-for-pound fighter Moreno (19-5-2, fighting out of Tijuana, Mexico) delivered the biggest victory of his career in December by submitting Figueiredo to earn the UFC flyweight championship. Initially featured on The Ultimate Fighter season 24, Moreno has also secured notable victories against Brandon Royval, Jussier Formiga and Louis Smolka. Moreno now aims to prove he is the top flyweight in the world by stopping Figueiredo a second time.
Former champion Figueiredo (20-2-1, fighting out of Soure, Pará, Brazil) is determined to even the score with Moreno by recapturing the belt with a vintage performance. A powerful striker and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, he has delighted fans with memorable wins over Joseph Benavidez (twice), Tim Elliott and Alexandre Pantoja. Figueiredo now plans to get revenge on Moreno in their third battle to once again reach the top of the 125-pound ladder.
Additional bouts on the card include
- Top five middleweight contenders collide when No. 3 ranked Jared Cannonier (14-5, fighting out of Glendale, Ariz.) takes on No. 4 Derek Brunson (23-7, fighting out of Wilmington, N.C.)
- Undefeated featherweights battle when No. 13 ranked contender Movsar Evloev (15-0, fighting out of Sunzha, Republic of Ingushetia, Russia) squares off with Ilia Topuria (11-0, fighting out of Alicante, Spain)
- No. 6 ranked women’s flyweight contender Viviane Araujo (10-3, fighting out of Brasilia, DF, Brazil) takes on. No. 11 Alexa Grasso (13-3, fighting out of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico)
- Kay Hansen (7-4, fighting out of Fullerton, Calif.) squares off with recent Dana White’s Contender Series signee Jasmine Jasudavicius (6-1, fighting out of St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada) at flyweight
- Trevin Giles (14-3, fighting out of Houston, Texas) meets Dana White’s Contender Series contract winner Michael Morales (12-0, fighting out of Tijuana, Mexico) at welterweight
- Tony Gravely (21-7, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.) faces Dana White’s Contender Series signee Saimon Oliveira (17-3, fighting out of Balneario Camboriu, SC, Brazil) in a bantamweight bout
- No. 15 ranked bantamweight contender Cody Stamann (19-4-1, fighting out of Sparta, Mich.) squares off with rising Said Nurmagomedov (14-2, fighting out of Dagestan, Russia)
- Warlley Alves (15-5, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) faces Dana White’s Contender Series contract winner Jack Della Maddalena (10-2, fighting out of Perth, Western Australia) in an intriguing welterweight bout
- Poliana Botelho (8-4, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) takes on Ji Yeon Kim (9-4, fighting out of Incheon, South Korea) at flyweight
- Greg Hardy (9-4 1NC, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.) squares off with Aleksei Oleinik (59-16-1, fighting out of Moscow, Russia) in a battle of heavyweight finishers
- Matt Frevola (8-3-1, fighting out of Long Island, N.Y.) faces unbeaten Dana White’s Contender Series signee Genaro Valdez Solo (10-0, fighting out of Tijuana, Mexico) in an exciting lightweight matchup
- Rodolfo Vieira (8-1, fighting out of Orlando, Fla. by way of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) aims for another show-stealing submission when he takes on Wellington Turman (17-5, fighting out of Curitiba, Brazil) at middleweight