Royal historian Robert Lacey’s says that Prince William’s decision to cut Prince Harry out of Buckingham Palace’s 2019 Christmas photo sent a message that was received loud and clear. In fact, Lacey says the infamous photo set Mexgit into motion.
Robert Lacey’s Book “Battle of Brothers” Details William And Harry Feud
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s dramatic Megxit caught Royal watchers by surprise. It was unexpected and announced in a very shocking fashion that bypassed the Queen.
Robert Lacey’s book “Battle of Brothers” details the tension between William and Harry that picked up after the younger brother’s marriage to Meghan Markle.
The Royal historian states the idea for the 2019 holiday picture was Prince Charles’s, but it was Prince William who used the picture to send a message to Harry.
Related: Harry And Meghan’s 2020 Vote Promo Backfires As Queen May Be Forced To Strip Their Royal Titles 
The monarchy is always gauging how it’s perceived by the British public.
Because optics matter, the idea of the family growing is a costly one to those footing the bill. Thus, the Prince of Wales wanted to showcase the idea of a smaller monarchy.
Royal Line Of Succession Photo
The writer reports that William had a different reason for wanting to use this picture. There had been issues with Harry’s bride Meghan for a while and Lacey reports the Duke of Cambridge felt this picture could send a message to her and Harry.
The Line of Succession photo got much praise when it was released in time for Christmas last year. It showed the Queen and the next three in line to the throne, Prince Charles, Prince William, and Prince George.
While this is understandable to many Royal watchers, the lovely photo apparently did not sit well with Harry or Meghan. It is very unlikely that Harry will ever be King and Meghan needs to understand this.
View this post on Instagram
📸 To mark the start of a new decade, a portrait has been released of Her Majesty The Queen and Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and Prince George. The portrait was taken by Ranald Mackechnie in the Throne Room at Buckingham Palace. Photograph © Ranald Mackechnie 
Shortly after the photo was released, The Times  reported Harry and Meghan were angry at being excluded.
Meghan did not want Harry to play second fiddle to Prince William.
Even though Harry was now farther down the line of succession, she must have felt entitled to an elevated status since she married the son of the Prince of Wales.
William KNEW! he can't stop laughing! #megxit  pic.twitter.com/fKcx2HnnT4 
— Wally (@yankeewally2) October 22, 2020 
“According to insiders, this formal photograph, taken in the Buckingham Palace Throne Room a week before Christmas 2019, was the idea of Prince Charles, anxious to promote his cause of the ‘slimmed-down monarchy,’ Lacey writes, “Palace sources have also let it be known that the plan of depicting the direct line of royal succession was enthusiastically supported by Prince William, who was not saying anything for the record—but who wanted to send his younger brother a message.”
Prince William’s Concerns About Meghan Markle
The “Battle of Brothers” book also claims William had concerns about Harry’s relationship with Meghan before they ever got married.
He even asked his Uncle Charles, Diana’s brother, to have an intervention of sorts.
Related: Meghan Markle Praises Prince Harry’s Transformation Into ‘Feminist’ Dad 
“After several more peppery reactions, William turned to his uncle Charles Spencer for help,” the book reads .
“The result of the Spencer intervention was an even more bitter explosion. Once again Harry refused to slow down. He didn’t blame his uncle. He understood why Diana’s brother should want to help. Yet he was furious with his elder brother for dragging other family members into the row.”
View this post on Instagram
Post credit ©️ sussexroyal_hm . The 66th post (video) about H&M love story🖤 9th January 2018 Prince Harry and Meghan Markle kicked off 2018 with their second-ever official joint royal engagement, visiting the Brixton district of south London on Tuesday. With their May wedding right around the corner, the couple headed to the studios of Reprezent 107.3 FM – a 24-hour underground music station and the only one in the UK presented by people under 25. Harry, 33, and Meghan, 36, were greeted with cheers and applause from fans who had waited outside Pop Brixton in the hope of catching a glimpse of the couple. Meghan showed off her characteristically chic style in black Burberry wide-leg trousers, a grey coat🧥 by Smythe, a sweater by Marks & Spencer and black pumps by Sarah Flint. The radio station the pair visited was founded in 2003 by former teacher Shane Carey, in response to a sudden increase in knife crime in the nearby Peckham neighborhood. According to Mr Carey, Harry and Meghan approached him in late December asking if they could come and see the station for themselves. “We didn’t invite them, they approached us just before Christmas,” he said. “The reason they are coming is because we are aligned very closely to their interests, we do a lot of work around mental health. The whole model of Reprezent is peer mentoring, and I know that is something that really interests Prince Harry.” This is Harry and Meghan’s first engagement of the year, and their second in total. They carried out their first joint engagement in November, where they visited the Nottingham Academy to meet children from the Full Effect program, and later to Nottingham Contemporary for a Terrence Higgins Trust World AIDS Day. The pair were last seen on Christmas Day🎄attending the annual Christmas church service at Sandringham, where they were joined by other members of the royal family, including Queen Elizabeth and Prince William and Kate Middleton. 
Biographer Connects Royal Succession Photo To Megxit
Meghan and Harry apparently didn’t like their supporting role and felt it was time to pack up and leave.
They did so by announcing it on Instagram without coordinating things with Buckingham Palace.
Lacey connects the dots on that decision in this book. Here’s Lacey speaking about the Royals and his book in the video below:
Prince Phillip Shares William’s Frustration With Harry
Prince William wasn’t the only royal perplexed and alienated by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s choices.
Another biographer also documented Prince Phillip’s concerns with Harry and Meghan. Ingrid Seward is one of the most respected and prominent writers covering the Royal Family, and editor-in-chief of Majesty magazine.
In her new biography, “Prince Phillip Revealed”, Seward looks at Megxit from the Queen’s husband’s perspective. She says he struggled with why Prince Harry, sixed in line to the throne, would walk away from the Royal Family.
Since the couple’s abrupt exist, Seward says that Prince Phillip has given up on the situation.
“For Philip, whose entire existence has been based on a devotion to doing his duty, it appeared that his grandson had abdicated his for the sake of his marriage to an American divorcee in much the same way as Edward VIII gave up his crown to marry Wallis Simpson in 1936,” Seward writes.
Only Prince Harry and Meghan Markle know the true reason they walked awya from the British Royal Family.
But these new biographies certainly help to shed some light on the discord that lead up to Megxit.