Sports

Gilbert Burns COVID Free, Ready To Challenge For UFC Gold

Now that he is cleared to return to training, top UFC welterweight contender Gilbert Burns is ready to challenge Kamaru Usman for the title.

Gilbert Burns was set to travel to “Fight Island” and challenge Kamaru Usman for the UFC welterweight title earlier this month.

That was before Burns found out he had COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus.

Burns was removed from the planned title fight and replaced by Jorge Masvidal. Usman went on to defend the belt successfully.

During the fight-week prep, UFC president Dana White indicated that Burns would be the next challenger once he was cleared. Now, he will have to wait on Usman to be ready to go again.

While making an appearance on MMA Fighting’s What the Heck podcast, Burns discussed the situation. 

“I’m very happy with the results from the test after being quarantined for two weeks at home,” Burns said. “I’m thankful and very happy I can go back to my regular routine.

“It was a hard pill to swallow, but I believe God has a plan for me. I just spoke with Dana White on Sunday and he said I’m next. He wants to see that fight: Burns vs. Usman. That’s the next fight.

“It was all for the best. I wasn’t feeling good and that was the only reason they took that title fight from me.” 

  • Categories

  • Leave a Comment