Conor McGregor Plans For Charity Bout In December, Calls Out UFC
The former UFC champion believes he is being kept out of action and is planning on competing in Ireland in a charity bout later this year.
Former UFC champion Conor McGregor sounds fed up with his current bosses, the UFC.
McGregor, holding a special press conference for the betting site Parimatch in the Ukraine on Tuesday, informed those in attendance that he has been trying to get a bout signed.
However, the former featherweight and lightweight champion is being kept out of the Octagon by the UFC. The 31-year-old declared plans for a charity fight during the event for this December.
Conor McGregor Holds Court In The Ukraine
“Funny enough, I just want to compete now,” McGregor said (thanks to MMA Fighting for the quotes). “I was trying to get the December 14th card, for whatever reason they’ve been holding me back. I’m giving them dates, I’m saying I want to fight this date, this date, this date, this date in a row, and we had opponents selected and everything and they’re just making it very difficult for me for whatever reason.
“I’m kind of in a position where I’m attempting to set up a charity event. I’ve done this before in my hometown but I done it in an amateur boxing event at my old boxing club, Crumlin Boxing Club, but I want to do it in mixed martial arts competition also. Create an event, find an opponent, compete, zero prize. I do not care about the prize. The prize is in my home.
“I have five prizes in my home that I seek to get, I’ve got them. I just want to compete now, I want to come back, I want to get sharp, I want to show the best of myself and continue to climb. So that’s what I am seeking to do. So we are looking to do that sometime in December, hopefully have a charity mixed martial arts event for zero prize. The prize will go to charity, so that’s what we are aiming for.”
“Notorious” Wants To Get Back To Competing More Often
Subscribe and get our daily emails and follow us on social media.
By opting in, you agree to receive emails with the latest MMA News & Analysis from MMA Frenzy. Your information will not be shared with or sold to 3rd parties.
McGregor noted that before he signed with the UFC, he was fighting “every couple of weeks.” McGregor has not fought since last year, when he returned and was defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov for the title.
Great day speaking with the the kids at an MMA tournament in Ukraine today.
The future of Mixed Martial Arts is very bright! 🇺🇦 🇮🇪 🌍 pic.twitter.com/f3oQGlXzu7
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) October 23, 2019
In 2016, McGregor competed three times, defeating Nate Diaz and winning the lightweight belt over Eddie Alvarez. He also fought three times in 2015, twice in 2014 and twice in 2013.
“For me, I am looking at—I used to fight every couple of weeks before the UFC came, then it was every couple of months,” McGregor said. “Now the politics of (prize-fighting) got involved and it’s almost if I won and then I go off. I do not like that, you can’t be like that in this game. I must continue, consistency is another word, you must be consistent.”
— Parimatch (@ParimatchGlobal) October 23, 2019